The other night I was craving cake but we didn't have anything in. It'd been a while since I last baked, and so I got out my apron and made this really tasty chocolate cake. Seriously guys, I'm proud of myself. I'm by no means a full blown food blogger, and I can just about cook the tea every night for Mike and Will, so when I first tasted this chocolate cake, man I was pretty happy.
- 3 large eggs
- 175g self raising flour
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp water
For the icing I cheated (naughty) and used a tub of Betty Crockers Chocolate Fudge icing, mainly because it's the nicest icing ever, and because I was super impatient and wanted to eat the cake already.
You also need two sandwich tins to pop your mix into. I used 7" round ones that I picked up in Tesco.
-pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C or gas mark 4
- mix the cocoa powder and the water together in a bowl until you get a nice stiff paste. Leave to one side for now.
- in another bowl mix the dry ingredients together, then add the eggs and butter separately, mixing each ingredient before adding the next.
- add in the cocoa powder paste that you made earlier
- distribute the mix evenly into the two cake tins and pop in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely
- Once cool, place icing on to the top of both cakes, then sandwich one cake on top of another
- slice it up and enjoy with a cup of tea!
I love chocolate cake. It's got to be m favourite flavour cake ever! Do let me know if you try this recipe too.
What's your favourite cake flavour?